Monday, July 31, 2017

Let's Talk About Death Note

Something's wrong here


Is it me or has the writers behind Netflix's Death Note switched Light and L?

Let's look at Light in the Netflix adaptation. He is almost always alone, I can assume he has no true friends, he is a loner at school, and seems a bit introverted at home when he's not hanging out in dark alleys. While L is seen speaking publicly with the police by his side, reassuring the public that there is nothing to fear. 

For the most part I'm joking, but behind every joke there's a layer of truth. The fact is that these are not the characters we remember from the anime. In my previous article I was understanding, for the most part, of the changes made to turn this into a film adaptation, but have they gone too far?

Let's face it, the only way we would get a true live action version of the acclaimed anime is through a several season series. But Netflix budgeted the story into a film that may or may not see a squeal, so these are the cards we've been dealt. With that in mind I understand that Light's character needed to be 'simplified', for lack of a better term, in order to hurry along the story to reach the spikes of the heart beat of the plot. Netflix chose not to go with the 'rise and fall' story arc, but instead the more action packed conflicted vigilante'. That allows them to cut to the chase and focus less on Light's character and more on the morals and ideas within the story.

BUT I HAVE ONE ISSUE! An issue that has been put on display by the most recent clip.


In the clip we see Light's introduction to Ryuk, and the death god then instructs him on how to use the notebook, and encourages him to make use of it. The issue I have with this is how far Netflix has gone with their creative changes. And yes, I am once again referring to Light as a character and despite my past understanding, I think a line has been crossed.

Now, I'd normally make a point of how childish it is for Light to punish bullies with death, but I guess this mirror's Light's first kill which was a purse thief. Neither deserve death, but both are test subjects for Light to realize the power of the notebook, so I can look past it. 

The true issue I have is with the fact that Ryuk guides him. This may seem like a small and easily over-looked issue to some, but it shows how weak minded Light is. In the anime, Ryuk has no hand in Light's choices, he simply drops the notebook in the human world due to boredom. He'll then occasionally answer Light's questions about the notebook, but otherwise he's as much of a viewer as we are. What we see here is the exact opposite with Ryuk pointing out people who should be punished, not even letting it be Light's idea to punish criminals (or mean people who bully college girls in broad daylight). All while Light is silent, appearing as if he is in a gaze as Ryuk does everything but hold Light's hand as he most likely chooses to add these unsuspecting bullies to the Death Note.

My problem with this is in less then 3 minutes Light, as a character, has become completely empty. He appears as though he's simply Ryuk's puppet who's acting on the death god's will rather then his own morals and beliefs. 

But maybe I can't see the forest through the trees. Maybe I need to stop comparing everything I see to the original story line and come to terms with the fact that this adaptation is unique to Netflix. And maybe Netflix has made the choice to make their own story while using only pieces of the source material to leave even the die-hard fans wondering what will happen next. Meh... I'd rather wallow in my fear of another live-action re-imagining of a Japanese anime.

What do you think? Let me know in the comments below.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments system