Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Destiny 2 : Pre-Trailer thoughts [UPDATED]

Bungie Teases Us With Disaster 

[Scroll down to see Update]

This past week has been a waterfall of announcements, trailers, and announcements for trailers. We've see the teaser for Stephen King's IT remake, Battlefront II's trailer being announced, the first picture of Cress Williams as Black Lightning, another Spiderman Homecoming trailer, and other stuff I'm probably forgetting about. But amongst all these announcements one has stood out. And that is Bungie's teaser for Destiny 2. We open on the arguable star NPC of the series, Cayde-6, reminiscing at a bar talking about a meeting at the tower, and then... 

BOOM!


The very table where Cayde-6 whispered in my ear for me to take him with me. The same table I stood and danced on as Ikora Rey stared blankly, blew up! And in that same moment the Cabal broke through the walls, destroying all that we hold dear, and one of the few places on Earth we can call salvation. Where does that leave our vendors, our speaker, our class leaders, our fellow guardians, and our vault!? God help the Cabal if they destroy my Queen's sniper from year one I got tucked away in the vault! But in general, what does this mean for us and where our character will be in Destiny 2?

I believe this may be the transition of moving the vendors into the playable world and out of the designated social space. I mean, Dead Orbit wanted to leave Earth, I guess now's their chance. All while Future War Cult can join them in saying 'I told you so' after the tower's destruction. Seriously though, NPCs such as vendors can now inhabit the world we explore rather then gathering in a single tower, where there is nothing else to do but dance and slow walk with your new shiny gear.

By adding NPCs to playable worlds this will give a secondary reason to visit planets. Go visit Cayde-6 on the Cosmodrome, then speak to Ikora Rey on Venus. And the fact that these characters had to call these planets home opens up the possibility of expanding the explorable space on the planet. We must enter parts of the planet previously thought to be dangerous, because we no longer have the safety of our tower, we must find a new place to call home. We must face new challenges and use new weaponry to do so!

It all sounds exciting, and if we can add a good story to go along with it then they can count me in. Well, honestly, I'd pre-order now if I could. I've been invested since vanilla Destiny days, so I'm in too deep, and like you I'll be looking forward to the reveal tomorrow.


 


UPDATE

The trailer has arrived and... OUR STUFF IS GONE! I'm sorry I couldn't hold that in. Yes, the biggest take away from this trailer next to the tower's destruction, is the destruction of our STUFF! And we all have one person to blame, Gary! Or Glen, was it Gil? It starts with a G! And no matter how much bad-ass armor he wears I will tear him apart for what he's done to me... I mean us. Anyway, lets all take a breath and go over this trailer.

On a more serious note, it looks like the traveler is smoldering. Will this have any effect on our light? In my opinion, this may be the reasoning behind us starting fresh and needing to grind our light back up. Next, it looks as though our main prediction may be coming true. Our leaders, our vendors, and even the civilians have been dispersed and may now be inhabiting the playable space. So does this mean we will no longer have a social space? Or maybe Destiny 2 will take a page out out of The Division's book by having buildings withing the playable space be social spaces. My vote is for the spicy ramen shop to by Cayde-6's social space.

One thing that I did not predict was...


That's right Destiny 2 will be coming to PC. Honestly, I thought the deal Sony has with Bungie might get in the way of this happening, but here we are. And with it coming to PC, they must be confident that they can get this game to be polished and running at 60 frames. Who knows, maybe we'll get 60 frames on console as well. I mean Xbox's Scorpio will be arriving soon, and this might be a good test of its potential even thought we'll never see Xbox advertise Destiny 2 due to their contract with Sony.

All in all, it looks like we'll be seeing new enemies, new guns, and a ton of loot! But what we don't see is what I truly want, which is more story elements and less loose ends and questions. Thankfully though these worries will most likely see resolve by May 18th when they plan to stream live gameplay. Plus, if they have anything else left to share, we still have E3 right after that where we may see more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments system